Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Furuki (YOK) for Ohnishi (ORX)

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Furuki (YOK) for Ohnishi (ORX)
The BayStars traded outfielder Katsuaki Furuki to Orix for outfielder Hiroaki Ohnishi.

Furuki was a former number one pick. Anyone know anything about Furuki?
Comments
Re: Furuki (YOK) for Ohnishi (ORX)
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 18, 2007 2:27 PM | CLM Fan ]

This is a worthless trade for Orix and a great one for Yokohama. Ohnishi is a solid all around young outfielder with some pop in his bat. He absolutely demolishes lefty pitching. Furuki is a lefty bat with pop, but his defense is legendary for being terrible.

In other words, Orix just got themselves another player who is pretty much a DH. They already have too many defensive liabilities. They should've kept Ohnishi.
Re: Furuki (YOK) for Ohnishi (ORX)
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 18, 2007 4:52 PM | CLM Fan ]

I take back my comment about Ohnishi batting well against lefties. He used to be. In 2004, he hit .330 against lefties and followed that up in 2005 by batting .307 against them. In 2007, though, he hit .234 against lefties in 94 at bats.

That's probably what got him traded. He's a career .281 batter against lefties and a .236 batter against righties.

Meanwhile, Furuki is a career .218 batter against lefties and .259 against righties.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.