Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

RIP Hiroyuki Oze

Discussion in the NPB News forum
RIP Hiroyuki Oze
Orix Buffaloes outfielder Hiroyuki Oze died after falling off a balcony on the 10th floor of a hotel in Okinawa during the team's spring camp on February 5th. He was 24 years old.

Police are investigating to determine whether it was a suicide or an accident.

Last season Oze batted .303 with 11 RBIs in 78 games.
Comments
Re: RIP Hiroyuki Oze
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Feb 22, 2010 3:14 PM ]

I was out of Japan and just heard of this tragedy. Any update? I highly doubt this could be an "accident," but just curious if there were any updates.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 2, 2010 2:56 AM ]

Dude are you morbid? He's dead, what else do you want to know?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 2, 2010 9:57 AM | YBS Fan ]

I don't see how it's morbid to want to understand why this happened. It just doesn't make any sense based on the reports filed in the news. All we know is that it appears to have been suicide based on:
  • Oze text-ed some goodbyes to friends the night before
  • Oze was deeply depressed after his mother died several years ago while he was still in college

However,
  • Oze had recently gotten married
  • It was clear that Oze was a rising star

Is it really morbid to want to understand what's going on behind this tragedy? I know that it's bothered me since the announcement. Could it have been an accident? Like, what was his blood alcohol level? Did Oze have debts? Did he have nefarious connections? If it was suicide, what could have been the trigger for it? If it was about his mother, was it her birthday or something? And most of all, why haven't the authorities, or even the press, pursued any of these questions?

Based on the information that has been released, none of this makes any sense.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Mar 3, 2010 10:57 AM ]

Thanks for the extra info. Yeah, not sure why it's considered morbid to ask for more details. Was just shocking to see a rising star take his own life like that.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.