Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Around the NPB Horn: Tuffy leaves for US, Orix wants him back for 2010 season

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Around the NPB Horn: Tuffy leaves for US, Orix wants him back for 2010 season
On 2009-10-6 Gen wrote:
...The Buffaloes announced that Tuffy Rhodes will not play out the rest of the season and will be returning to the US on the 6th. The team is currently working on signing Rhodes to an extension for the 2010 season.

[Full Article: http://yakyubaka.com/2009/10/06/around-the-npb-horn-tuffy-leaves-for-us-orix-wants-him-back-for-2010-season/]
Comments
Re: Around the NPB Horn: Tuffy leaves for US, Orix wants him back for 2010 season
[ Author: DaClyde1 | Posted: Oct 8, 2009 10:55 AM | OBs Fan ]

What's the actual story here? He just goes home because the team is in the cellar or his he hurt again?
Re: Around the NPB Horn: Tuffy leaves for US, Orix wants him back for 2010 season
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 8, 2009 2:52 PM | YBS Fan ]

This isn't unusual. Many foreign players are allowed to return home early if everything has pretty much been wrapped up. The plus side to this is that it allows the ball club(s) to evaluate some of the younger players at the top tier.

As for Tuffy, he's had another very good season, but with a very long injury interruption. He's good at keeping in shape on his own, so a little extra rest and his usual conditioning program will probably be best for him to prepare for next season.

I'm not aware of another injury.
[ Author: DaClyde1 | Posted: Oct 8, 2009 9:18 PM | OBs Fan ]

Ok, I saw in the linked story that Tuffy wasn't the only foreign player to leave Orix for the last few games. I didn't notice this happen last year. I'm glad to see they want him back though, as it would have been tough for him to retire after missing half of a monster season like that.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.