Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Marines Make Three Year Offer to Iguchi

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Marines Make Three Year Offer to Iguchi
It was reported yesterday that the Chiba Lotta Marines made a three year offer to Tad Iguchi for 600 million yen. The odds seem good that he will accept it, as it is unlikely he will receive a guaranteed major league contract for 2009.
Comments
Re: Marines Make Three Year Offer to Iguchi
[ Author: Brad BT | Posted: Jan 11, 2009 3:31 AM | SEI Fan ]

He should help them out. Seeing as though he did put up good numbers in Chicago.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Jan 12, 2009 6:38 PM ]

Not really sure what the Marines are thinking of here as they've already got Nemoto at second. Nemoto had a decent season, and Iguchi is not a young player any longer.
[ Author: Guest: xbalanque | Posted: Jan 13, 2009 2:35 AM ]

Good point. Nemoto had a .369 on-base percentage last year, which is awfully good for a middle infielder, and he will only be 25 years old in 2009. Nemoto has played some games at SS and 3B, so maybe the Marines will move him to one of those positions.

A lot of teams just can't resist the siren song of the aged veteran star who might have few good years left. Iguchi is a big star who is marketable as such. I think he'll have a good year playing in Japan in 2009, but I don't know that he's got three years left in the tank.
[ Author: Brad BT | Posted: Jan 13, 2009 4:48 AM | SEI Fan ]

Yea, but he will add depth to the team. You know, if Nemoto gets hurt or gets into a hitting funk. (I often use funk in place of slump).
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Jan 13, 2009 7:12 PM ]

If you have Imae at third, Tsuyoshi at short, Fukuura at first, and then Nemoto at second, then there will be no room for Iguchi any place in the infield. Iguchi will have to be putting up good numbers if he is going to secure the second base spot. The Marines will be wasting money if Iguchi does not perform like he did when he was in Fukuoka, and I do not think that is likely.

Nevertheless it will be good to have depth on the team. My feeling is that Marines could have used money on other players and positions instead of the second base spot.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jan 14, 2009 5:21 AM | NIP Fan ]

Is Jose Ortiz coming back to the team next year? I'll be a little sad if he isn't, but Iguchi could be the righty-hitting infielder that Jose was, if that's the case. Last year Nemoto pretty much ended up sitting every time there was a lefty starter, so...
[ Author: Bigball123 | Posted: Jan 16, 2009 3:27 AM ]

Tad will surely accept!
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Jan 16, 2009 9:56 PM ]

Looks as if someone does not have faith in either Ortiz or Nemoto. I have not heard anything about Ortiz yet, whether he is staying or not. Iguchi is older than both Nemoto and Ortiz. I am still puzzled. Well, I could be wrong and Iguchi might have a terrific season next year, let's hope so for the sake of Marines and Bobby V.

The Ortiz chant is a song which the Lotte fans sing in Korea, that's where they got his chant from. Originally it comes from somewhere else, but the Korean Lotte fans started singing the song first in baseball.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jan 17, 2009 12:25 AM | SFT Fan ]

Well, Ortiz has been released by the Marines.

Source: Japan Ball
[ Author: xbalanque | Posted: Jan 21, 2009 3:08 AM ]

And Iguchi has finalized his contract with the Marines.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.