Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Wakui wows as Lions clinch Japan Series berth

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Wakui wows as Lions clinch Japan Series berth
Hideaki Wakui pitched a three-hit shutout Wednesday, leading the Seibu Lions to their first trip to the Japan Series in four years in a 9-0 blowout of the Nippon Ham Fighters in Game 5 of the Pacific League Climax Series second stage.

[Full Article: http://www.japanball.com/news.phtml?id=13328]
Comments
Re: Wakui wows as Lions clinch Japan Series berth
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Oct 23, 2008 8:44 AM | YOK Fan ]

Wakui was simply amazing. I was at the game yesterday and I didn't even know that he had a no hitter going until I looked at the scoreboard right before Inaba got that hit; and then you could hear the entire first base side utter a loud moan to voice their displeasure.

The entire Climax Series was simply amazing, and hopefully next time I go to the Seibu Dome they'll be holding up a trophy.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Oct 24, 2008 3:50 AM | SFT Fan ]

This is actually good for NPB. I don't think fans would have been too thrilled with the prospect of a third consecutive Fighters-Dragons Japan Series.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Oct 24, 2008 9:57 AM | YOK Fan ]

I kind of see that happening with the Central League Climax Series this year. I mean, as a baseball fan, I like to see different teams play in the post season and seeing the same teams every year really bores me. I mean, the game was fun to watch on TV yesterday, and I do realize that this year's Giants team has a better chance of making it, but I still couldn't help but think that these are the same two teams I saw play in the Climax Series last year (and also Yomiuri winning 11-2 didn't help matters much as they set the tone of the game early). That's probably why I've been Pro-Hanshin in recent weeks; because I wanted them to play the Giants in the Climax Series this year.

I guess that's why I was so critical a few weeks back of Hiroshima not making it by totally blowing it against Yakult. IMHO, I think the "bottom three" as I call them in the Central League need to step their game up and start contending, as it would not only be great for the fans of each respective team, but for Japanese baseball as a whole.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.