Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Giants Clinch Pennant

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Giants Clinch Pennant
The BayStars played spoiler two nights in a row. First they denied the Giants a Magic Number of 1 on Thursday night, defeating the Giants 8 to 4.

Then just minutes ago, after the Giants defeated the Swallows at Jingu, the BayStars play spoiler and defeat the Tigers 4-3, the big blow a 3-run gyaku-ten home run by Murata.

Congratulations Yomiuri on your second pennant in a row, and coming back from 13 games back, taking first place away from the Tigers for the first time after 141 games, with just 3 games to go. Wow. Like 'em or hate 'em, that's impressive.
Comments
Re: Giants Clinch Pennant
[ Author: Sportkrank21 | Posted: Oct 10, 2008 9:34 PM | YG Fan ]

I'm rather conflicted. It was nice to see such a great comeback, but last year after winning the regular season, the Giants lost in the Central League finals. I've never lived in Japan and I would probably not have ever rooted for the Giants had I known they were considered as bad as the Yankees, but I traded a CU football staff jacket that never fit me for a Giants hat back in '85 and have been a fan ever since.
[ Author: Guest: Number 26 | Posted: Oct 10, 2008 9:38 PM ]

This was one of the greatest comebacks ever by a team. Talk about choking, Hanshin. I wish it was the other way around though. Or any team but Giants.

When Yokohama played Yomiuri in Tokyo Dome, I was appalled by the un-sportsmanship behavior by the Yokohama BayStars against Ramirez. Yokohama intentionally walked him 4 times. Some of the times they walked him when there was a runner on first!

Yokohama won, but imagine if Yokohama had lost this game. This game was very ironic. The Giants played for the pennant and Yokohama did not play to win but rather to make sure that Murata would get the home run title. Murata hit a home run, but so did Ramirez the only time Yokohama faced him. This game was one of those games which was hard to understand.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Oct 10, 2008 10:06 PM ]

It is a long, unfortunate tradition in NPB to walk a player on the opposing team who is challenging one of your own players for the Home Run Crown. I love the game here, but would really like to see that nonsense end. One of the most infamous cases in recent memory is when Giants management forced Uehara to walk Petagine (then with Yakult) and he openly wept on the mound.

I can't stand Ramirez, but he should get a fair chance at the home run crown after an incredible year.
[ Author: Guest: DfromBoston | Posted: Oct 17, 2008 4:31 AM ]

Unfortunately, it comes with the territory. Not just in Japan, but everywhere. The vagaries of individual records. Mr. Ramirez has been in Japan for several years, so I'm sure he's comfortable enough knowing he was instrumental in leading the Giants to the most wins in the Central.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.