Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Correction to Database

Discussion in the Around Asia forum
Correction to Database
Chien-min Chan's name is actually Chien-MING CHIANG.

What is the Japanese source data for this database?
Comments
Re: Correction to Database
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 24, 2007 7:58 AM | YBS Fan ]

Thank you for the correction. His name has been updated.

The source for the names, height, weight, etc. is Shukan Baseball's yearly Player Meikan (Player Registry). While the Player Meikan has English spelling for western players, it does not for players who come over from Taiwan, Korea, or China. So I often transliterate the names based on the Katakana (Japanese pronunciation), which as you can tell, isn't correct.

I've been trying to do better with new players this year, but I still haven't come across a definitive source for how to spell this player's name. If you know, I'd greatly appreciate the help. The Katakana ShuBe published is "トゥーシェン." However, the girlfriend of a friend says it's spelt with a "D" - "Du-Shien." Hers is the most authoritative spelling I've had so far.

As for the other data (pitching, batting, etc.), that's come from several sources, and checked against either the The Official Baseball Encyclopedia 2004 or Baseball Magaine Sha's yearly Baseball Record Book.

Thank you again for the correction.
[ Author: NelsonChung | Posted: Feb 24, 2007 1:04 PM | NIP Fan ]

If he's from Taiwan and uses Taiwan's absurd but official Wade-Giles romanization, it should be Tu-hsuan Lee.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 24, 2007 1:32 PM | YBS Fan ]

Thank you. He is from Taiwan, and that's the most authoritative answer I've gotten. So I've updated Tu-Hsuan's page as well.
[ Author: NelsonChung | Posted: Feb 25, 2007 12:33 PM | NIP Fan ]

Does either The Official Baseball Encyclopedia 2004 or Baseball Record Book have Mexican League stats by any chance?

What were various sources that you used and checked against them? I wonder how comprehensive they are. The CPBL database you showed us has # of hits, 2B, 3B, and HR a pitcher allowed. I don't think the NPB or KBO has anything that extensive. Seems like of the Big 3, Taiwan has the most hardcore sabrmetricians.

Although Taiwan doesn't have scientists hatching pitches out of the lab.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 25, 2007 1:51 PM | YBS Fan ]

- Does either The Official Baseball Encyclopedia 2004 or Baseball Record Book have Mexican League stats by any chance?

No, I'm afraid not. Both only cover Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB), not how players did in any other leagues before or after their NPB stints.

- What were various sources that you used and checked against them?

Well, the Encyclopedia is the "Official" source, but only has data through the end of 2003. So I take that as being the most primary source.

Because I do the data entry by hand, player by player, I do compare the sum of player data to published team data for years that I have the Record Book for. Not all team data is equal to the individual sums, though. For example, some earned runs are charged to individual pitchers but not to the team. I currently have no way to confirm the differences, but hope to do so in the near future.

- I wonder how comprehensive they are. The CPBL database you showed us has # of hits, 2B, 3B, and HR a pitcher allowed. I don't think the NPB or KBO has anything that extensive. Seems like of the Big 3, Taiwan has the most hardcore sabrmetricians.

This has been a major complaint of mine for a number of years with regard to NPB data. However, I'll be tracking this information on my own going forward, and hope that NPB will follow my lead and start providing it as well.

If you're looking for a source for this information, I believe that NPB-BIS (Baseball Information Services) does keep track of this data, but nobody (Baseball Magazine Sha) publishes it. I don't know why they don't publish this information. If they did, I'd have it for you. (Maybe that's why?) DataStadium also tracks this information independently. The problem with both of these data companies is that they don't cater to small-medium sized businesses. Their packages are "all or nothing." So you either have to belong to one of the 12 ball clubs or a major newspaper to subscribe to their services (and I've heard that the NPB-BIS service within news organizations have extremely restricted access).

I'm trying to change things in Japan with respect to opening up NPB's data to the world. It's a long term project (years, not months or days) for doing past seasons. I do hope to be able to provide more sabrmetric stats about NPB for 2006 and onward in the not too distant future (this season - the next major task on my TODO list). I understand that you want the data now. But there's very little I can do at this point.
[ Author: Guest: Anonymous | Posted: Feb 25, 2007 1:31 PM ]

According to this thread (see Torakichi's first post) I thought his spelling was Ping-Yen Lee. No?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.