Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

You've Got it All Wrong! There Are No Non-Japanese Players in the MLB!

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
You've Got it All Wrong! There Are No Non-Japanese Players in the MLB!
It seems that all the people who have predicted an exodus of Japanese players from NPB have been blind. Blind, I tell you! The real upshot of Nomo's ground-breaking move across the Pacific has not been for Japanese to abandon NPB, but for all non-Japanese players to desert MLB.

As Nikkan Sports, Nikkei, Yomiuri, Sankei and Daily Sports all show, there is no evidence that even one player who is not Japanese played in the Red Sox vs. Mariners game.
Comments
Re: You've Got it All Wrong! There Are No Non-Japanese Players in the MLB!
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 12, 2007 1:56 PM | YBS Fan ]

He, he. My reaction to Cheese's comment about Felix Hernandez being overlooked was, "Felix who? Never heard of him."

The MLB doesn't get it. The North American press doesn't get it. You, Torakichi-san, do get it.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Apr 12, 2007 2:34 PM | HT Fan ]

ZakZak, too.

Poor journalism on the part of Nikkei Sports and SpoNichi, which resorted to reporting on trivialities - they stooped to mention some distraction called Hernandez - instead of sticking to the story proper. Tsk, tsk.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 12, 2007 5:25 PM | CLM Fan ]

That is an absolute disgrace. Things like this and the Japan-only video streams infuriate me. I wouldn't go so far as to say I feel ashamed to be Japanese, but I am definitely embarrassed by this disgusting xenophobic Japan against the world mentality. People need to grow up.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Apr 12, 2007 8:51 PM | HT Fan ]

BigManZam speaks of a Japan against the world mentality...

Speaking from experience, this is quite common among people from smaller countries. I guess it's natural that the media of one country gives weight to its own citizens when reporting on events in other places (e.g., "50 people were injured in the crash, but there were no reports of Americans among the victims") but to make no mention at all of anyone except your own compatriots is... well... it doesn't look too good, does it?
[ Author: Guest: Cheese | Posted: Apr 13, 2007 12:06 AM ]

LOL! Yeah, it's pretty poor reporting, but as you said, Japan is not the only country guilty of this! Australia doesn't mind doing the "Our (add-sports-person's-name) does Australia proud."

In saying all this though, I think the Japanese media are much worse!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.