Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

National Anthem at NPB Games?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
National Anthem at NPB Games?
When did they start playing the Japanese National Anthem at NPB games? Do you know why this started? Yoroshiku.
Comments
Re: National Anthem at NPB Games?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 25, 2015 4:19 PM | YBS Fan ]

That's a very good question. I don't remember hearing it before this season except at Giants games, I think it was. And when they played it, it seemed like half the crowd was surprised as well, not standing up until about half way through it. (Except, of course, for the hard liners who refused completely, and there are still quite a few. Fortunately, nobody makes them.)

Perhaps this is something implemented by the new commissioner? As a former police chief, I wouldn't be surprised if he thought more highly of patriotism than many from the past.

[And, yes, the site does seem to have become a bit of a ghost town. The community has gone off and created their own more focused sites, which I am very proud to have been an inspiration for.]
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 26, 2015 5:22 PM | HAN Fan ]

It used to be just a Pacific League thing - the Central League never bothered. So it is a surprise to hear that it had spread further.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Oct 5, 2015 6:48 PM ]

From my experience, they don't play it at Koshien, but they do at Kyocera and Hotto Motto. So, yes, could be a mostly PL thing. Or a stadium decision.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.