Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

gold...

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
gold...
...is this site. Australian poster, from a deep cricketing background. I love cricket. In its purest form (5 days, no guarantees of anything), it mirrors life. Undulates, pulsates, and then might deliver nothing. Or everything.

I've always thought baseball was a poor derivative of cricket. I watched the Cubs play the Cardinals at Wrigley Field in 97, and was told I'd be blown away by Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire. Apart from the ivy and nacho cowboy hats, I was left cold.

Then I married a girl who had a brother who moved to Kobe, and married locally, caned his JLPT, and now has two kids. Consequently we've been up a bit to visit, so our own little one can see her cousin. In the meantime I've fallen for Asahi Super Dry, izakaya bars and the Hanshin Tigers.

But I'm not my brother in law and languages fail me - so thanks for this forum. And I ask for patience. Down here, baseball has as high a profile as dominoes. Dave Nilsson, Jeff Williams, Chris Oxbridge, they may as well be your garbage men for the name recognition . Meanwhile, I've only this week found out what a ground rule double is.
Comments
Re: gold...
[ Author: analoguecheese | Posted: Mar 5, 2010 8:01 PM ]

...oxspring that should be...pretty much makes the point...
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 6, 2010 12:23 AM ]

I wonder what did it for you that didn't do it in Chicago. Is it just some familiarity through your brother-in-law?
[ Author: angrybear | Posted: Mar 6, 2010 6:37 AM ]

i think that's a big part of it - and especially visiting up there (Japan) during the season, surrounded by games on the telly.

am glad I've had the chance to visit Wrigley Field though. lovely place.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Mar 7, 2010 3:05 PM ]

Glad Koshien could convert you! With sports, a lot of it just depends on what you grew up with. I admit that hitting in cricket takes at least as much (or more talent) as hitting a baseball, but I doubt I could ever sit through a whole match!

Although I prefer the actual stadiums in the U.S. to Japan, the atmosphere in Japan has something that MLB games sometimes lack. So maybe that's why Koshien did it for you more than Wrigley.

By the way, now that you know what a ground rule double is, you should also know that in Japan it's actually called "entitled to two base!" On a related note, I finally learned what LBW means as well!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.